Dengue Fever Debacle - 12 Years Stuck.

Saint38

I'm finally ready to open up about something that's been holding me back for way too long. Twelve years ago, I got dengue fever while traveling in Southeast Asia. It was a nightmare. I was feeling fine one day, and then the next thing I knew, I was lying in a hospital bed with a fever that wouldn't break. The pain was excruciating, and I felt so weak and helpless.

I spent weeks recovering, and even after I was physically okay, I couldn't shake the fear that had taken hold. The thought of getting sick again while traveling filled me with dread. I started to associate travel with danger and illness. It was like a switch had been flipped in my brain, and I couldn't turn it off.

I tried to rationalize my fear, but it was no use. I would tell myself that the chances of getting dengue again were slim, but my mind wouldn't listen. Every time I would plan a trip, I would start to worry about the food, the water, the bugs, you name it. I would imagine myself getting sick again, and the fear would paralyze me.

It was a lonely and isolating time. I felt like I was missing out on so much while everyone else was traveling and having adventures. I would look at photos and videos of my friends' trips, and I would feel a pang of jealousy. But I knew that if I tried to travel, I would probably end up having a panic attack.

Over the years, I've tried different things to manage my fear. I've talked to therapists, I've read self-help books, and I've even tried meditation. But nothing seemed to work. The fear was just too deeply ingrained.

I've considered traveling to places where dengue fever isn't a big problem, but even that feels risky. What if I get sick with something else? What if I have a panic attack while I'm away from home? The fear is always there, lurking in the background, ready to pounce at any moment.

I'm starting to feel like I'll never be able to travel again. It's a sad realization, but it's also a reality that I need to accept. I'm hoping that by sharing my story, I can connect with other people who understand what I'm going through. Maybe together, we can find a way to cope with our fears and live our lives to the fullest.

Back